Submarine Force Museum Home of Historic Ship Nautilus
Please visit us on Facebook
The Museum & Nautilus
- About the Museum
- Use of Facilities
- About the USS Nautilus
- Virtual Tours
- Virtual Tours Home
- Museum - Front Walk
- Museum - Main Hall
- Museum - Main Exhibit Area
- Nautilus - Torpedo Room
- Nautilus - Wardroom
- Nautilus - Attack Center
- Nautilus - Control
- Nautilus - Crew Mess
- The Library
Library and Archive Use
Scholars, students, naval personnel, and the public are welcomed and encouraged to use the library. The library is strictly a research library and does not lend materials. A reading/study area is provided for public use. Various catalogs, finding aids, and the assistance of the staff enable researchers to locate pertinent materials.
With our small staff, the Library can only reply to written requests for information that are mail or faxed to the Library (see below). We can not respond to phone or email requests. Due to the volume of requests received, please allow up to 4 weeks to respond to your request.
Because of the special nature of the records, the Library has special rules for visiting researchers. Those that a visitor might want to know about before visiting are:
- An appointment must be made to use the Archives and the Library. Contact the Library at the number below to arrange your visit.
- Researchers must sign in and out of the Visitors Log.
- The use of pens is prohibited.
- Special care must be taken in handling all records. Records may not be leaned on, written on, folded, traced from, or handled in any way likely to damage them. Records should be kept in the same order in which they are presented. Microfilm or copies of records will be used when available.
- Eating, drinking, and smoking are not permitted in the Library.
- Personal copiers are prohibited. Personal computers, typewriters, and tape recorders are permitted, so long as they do not disturb others. Permission is required for using cameras to photograph documents.
- The use of scanners will be approved on a case-by-case basis. Researchers using scanners will be required to sign a copy of the Library's on Scanning and Digitization indicating that they have read and understand the conditions under which this privelege is granted.
- Research materials can be self photocopied. You must see the archivist for instructions on how to use the copier.
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to ensure compliance with copyright requirements before publishing material held by the Library or lengthy quotations from such material. Contact the Archivist for more information on copyrights.
- All notes, photocopies, and purses must be presented to the receptionist for inspection before the researcher leaves.
- Library is Open Year Round
9:00 AM to 11:30 AM; 1 PM TO 3:45 PM
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Submarine Force Museum
Attn: Archivist Naval Submarine Base New London
Groton, CT 06349-5571